Thursday, April 1, 2010

Drive between Reno and Lake Tahoe

This will be my first trip to Reno, we plan on doing a lot of sight-seeing, will rent a car and explore. What%26#39;s the drive like between Reno and Lake Tahoe? I%26#39;ve never driven in Nevada before (only have taken flights to Vegas) so I%26#39;m wondering if i need to be concerned about taking this drive at night, is it thru the mountains (sorry I probably sound dumb, I am geographically-challenged) and do I have to worry about this drive thru the mountains? any advice you have will be much appreciated, any tips about where else to drive to would be great, too.



Drive between Reno and Lake Tahoe


When there%26#39;s no snow, it%26#39;s an easy drive on a major highway.



Drive between Reno and Lake Tahoe


The drive from Reno to South Lake Tahoe along highway 50 is an easy drive (during non winter months) on a 4 lane highway. The drive to North Lake Tahoe is also pretty easy if you take highway 80 to truckee and then highway 89 to tahoe city. ANother way to go is up and over Mt Rose which is a little twisty in places




I was in Reno in July. We took the drive around the Lake. From Reno we took the mountain road to Mt. Rose. I rented a brand new Chrysler Sebring which took on a great strain going up the mountain grade ( it must have been a 4 cylinder auto). I also smelled the brakes when we descended to Incline Village. The mountain road is scenic but I would drive it only in the day and with more horse power under the hood. I think it would be better to go to Carson City and get on 50. Just follow 50 to 89 and pick up 80 east in Truckee and head back to Reno.




You might want to take a drive up to Virginia City, which is about 30 to 40 minutes from downtown Reno. If you%26#39;re into a little bit of history, there is a lot there. It%26#39;s a good trip for an afternoon or longer depending on your interest in the ';old west';




I definitely agress with NVBeach Bum. See Virginia City. My teens especially enjoyed our visit there. Are you planning to drive to North or South Lake Tahoe? I personally prefer South if you are a younger crowd. Lots to do there. Easy drive in summer/early fall/late spring.


  • makeup help
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment